Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What to do when it won't stop raining.....

I wish I could shout to the world that I am someone who diligently takes their pups for long walks and adventures in a dog park, regardless of the weather.  Sadly, I am not.  When the temp drops below 50 degrees and it's pouring the rain, I find myself standing at the open back door with my best friends looking out on the yard...trying to get them to go outside for a minute.

Then by the second day, I am watching my 3 year old lab mix race around the house like his butt is on fire, listening to the cats yowling constantly as he tries to get their attention....(nothing like a lab nose scooting you around the living room) and even my older dog barking her head off at his bad behaviour.  I knew I had to do something for some stimulation and excericise before much more time went by or I was going to have my couch further modified.  (pictures to be posted later today) What to do....what to do...

I decided I would spend the day baking up dog treats - they could lick the bowl, sample the wares, and overall help me out in the kitchen. We all piled in to the car and off to the grocery store we went.

**Another bit of advice, select the treats you will make, and actually LOOK around to make sure you have everything you need before you start whipping stuff up.... just sayin

Here's a link to a great list of recipes:
Treat Recipes

First Up:

LIVER BROWNIES - Beware!!!! My dogs were thrilled with the smell - this was not the same for me but it gave me the opportunity to open the front and back door to air out the house.

1 1/4 lbs chicken liver
1 Cup wheat germ
2 Tablespoons wheat flour
2 Cups oatmeal (quick cook kind - not instant)
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
2 cloves garlic (optional)
1 Tablespoons of olive oil

Preheat oven 350°F. Liquefy liver and garlic in blender or processor. When smooth add eggs (shells also) and peanut butter. Blend until smooth. In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Add liver mixture and olive oil to dry mixture and mix well. Spread into a greased 9×9 baking dish. Bake 30 minutes. Let cool and cut into pieces.

Second in the oven: Super easy and really pretty good for not having sugar or chocolate
PEANUT BUTTER CUT OUTS
2 cups whole wheat-flour
1 cup skim milk
1 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon Baking POWDER

Preheat 375°F. Mix ingredients together and knead heavy dough a bit. Roll out to 1/4 inch and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes.

I will post pictures of us making these and you will see for yourself how helpful everyone was.  It even stopped raining long enough for me to grab the miracle toy - "chuck-it" and the glowing yellow priceless diamond that is his tennis ball and off to the park we went!

No comments: